Saturday, September 4, 2010

1st Little Scare

12:30 - Melanie, Jaycie and I were leaving to go grab lunch being that Nykele was dosing off and we wanted to let her sleep. I was the last one leaving the room and on the way out Nykele told me that she was starting to feel sick. I went out to get the nurse, meanwhile Melanie went back to grab something in the room and by the time I reentered the room I saw Melanie holding up a little pale to Nykele’s mouth. The anesthesiologist warned us that she might feel queazy once the drugs worked their way into her system because her blood pressure could drop. He gave her some adrenaline in hopes of keeping her pressure normal, but apparently the adrenaline wasn’t enough and nausea set in causing her to heave up her jello she had for breakfast. As soon as the nurse had fed her I.V. with a little more adrenaline, Nykele’s pressure began slowly working its way back up and she’s feeling much better. Hopefully she will finally be able to take a good nap.

We are now left with one concern however, during the whole ordeal of getting Nykele’s blood pressure back up and getting her feeling better again, Parker’s heart rate dropped down from the 150 BPM range to the 80’s. After propping Nykele onto her side to get her and the baby comfortable the nurse put Nykele on oxygen. Me being the curious guy that I am asked why that would help and the nurse explained the following:

“When Nykele’s blood pressure drops down, that means that there’s less blood making it to the baby. When the blood flow to the baby lessens, that means that he’s getting less oxygen. While we’re waiting for her pressure to stabilize, we want to make sure that every ounce of blood that’s making it to the baby is packed with oxygen. What we’re lacking in quantity we’ll make up for in quality. Soon, her blood pressure should be back to normal and then there won’t be any need for Nykele to be on oxygen.”

Apparently it was the lack of oxygen that was leaving Parker fatigued/stressed and causing his heart rate to lower. It’s slowly working its way back up, so hopefully he’ll be in good shape soon.

2 comments:

  1. I am impatiently waiting for your updates. THANK YOU! We are praying for you, and I can hardly think of anything else. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Heather said. I am so excited to have this baby come. Hang in there Nykele. Believe it or not, it's worth it.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete